31 January 2018

The perfect session

It’s almost precisely 1 year since I had what I think was probably the best surf session  my life.

I was in PNG and that particular day there was a spot that was working particularly well. We boarded the small boats and headed toward an island in the middle of the ocean 20 minutes ride from the resort.  

It was literally a tiny tiny island with 2 palm trees in the middle and the barrier reef all around.
The swell was coming straight from the north (I guess) and you could see lines of waves from hundreds of meters. Wide, perfect, lines.

Most of the surfers picked up a spot on the left of the island were the waves were peaking high and crushing fast around the edge.

I followed two seasoned surfers from Queensland who were on longboards. They went straight in front of the island, hundred meters out, and started catching the waves well before all the others (straight, wide, tall walls of water). 
I watched for a bit, getting a feeling of the place and of where I didn’t want to be (if you know what I mean).

The waves were big (for me) but there was plenty of water upon the reef that made me feel a bit better.

The sun was shining, the water was crystal clear. No wind. Only 3 longboarders. Hours of waves.

I couldn’t believe it myself.

I still dream about that day. 


This random pic shows how were the waves that day in relation to size and shape.
Questa foto random mostra all'incirca grandezza e forma delle onde di quel giorno. 


Those waves in a place like this one. Just fantastic.
Quelle onde in un posto tipo cosi'! 



E’ piu’ o meno un anno preciso da quando ho avuto quella che forse e’ la sessione di surf migliore della mia vita.

Ero in PNG, e quel mercoledi le guide del resort ci hanno portato in barca davanti ad una isoletta sperduta nell’oceano. Immagnatevi l’isola delle barzellette della Settimana Enigmistica. Quella con i classici naufraghi. Ecco, era cosi’. Minuscola, con un po di sabbia e due palme al centro. Ed il reef tutto intorno.

Quel giorno arrivavano onde dritte in faccia all’isola. Linee estese che spuntavano da un centinaio di metri prima e si gonfiavano inesorabili. 
Quasi tutti (una decina di persone) si erano messi sulla sinistra a surfare con le tavolette un picco ripidissimo e cattivo, mentre io avevo seguito titubante due veterani col longboard che si erano messi esattamente davanti all’isola, 50, 100 metri fuori.

Le onde erano grandi, per me, ma non tubavano. E l’alta marea teneva il reef sotto un po d’acqua, rendendolo meno minaccioso.

Il sole splendeva e l’acqua era incredibilmente calda e trasparente. Niente vento. Solo noi 3 la davanti. Ore di onde ininterrotte.
Io stesso non ci credevo.

Ci penso spesso e mi chiedo se mi ricapitera’ mai una perfezione simile.

La foto che ho messo l'ho trovata a caso, ma e' abbastanza fedele a quelle onde. Ho aggiunto anche un disegnino stupido per dare un'idea di quel posto magico. 


1 comment:

  1. Ciao! Tante persone me ne parlano bene della png, personalmente non ci sono mai stata. Però ad aprile sarò un mese in vacanza in Costa Rica e ti saprò dire qualcosa. Buone onde ! E buon anno .

    ReplyDelete