13 December 2017

Back to Byron Bay

I went to Byron for the weekend and yet again I came back with a mixed feeling.

Love for the location and hate for what seems to me unsustainable congestion of people and cars.
Love for the waves and hate for the crowd.

I woke up early on Saturday. I was dead tired from the day before and it was cold.
I sat on the bed thinking, trying to be truthful to myself and understanding if more sleep would have done more to my wellbeing than a surf session.
But once you are awake and you know that waves are rolling just 5 mins from you, it’s extremely hard to resist.
So I went.

I didn’t want to spend time searching for a carpark near The Pass. So I stopped before, only to see that the walk along the beach to the point was way longer that I remembered.
Once in the water, despite the early hours, I went back to the same old Byron Bay frustration mode. The waves (medium small) were rolling precisely on a specific line and the chances to get one, without being in the middle of the lineup fight, was near zero.
I managed to jump on a few orphans at the last moment but I got a close out every time.
Ice on the cake I got stung by a jellyfish. I didn’t see it but it hugged my calf.
The pain got me distracted. And when I focused again the crowd was just unmanageable.

I sat for a minute and asked myself why. What was I doing?
The sky was blue, the sun shining. It was a beautiful day.    
And I knew I wouldn’t be able to fix my session. I knew my frustration would poison me.
So, for the first time in my surfing life I gave up and went back to the car after just 40 minutes or so. And it felt good. I bought coffee and croissants and went back to my wife at the hotel.
I spent the rest of the day feeling good, not being miserable for my failure. For once.

Sunday I woke up determined to catch a few at Wategos: the point just behind The Pass.
I went there early, and this time I could count the people in the water on my fingers.
The waves were bigger that I expected and there wasn’t a clear pattern.
The sun was still low, behind the hill, and the water was dark. I don’t know the configuration of the bottom there and I was a bit nervous.
I went in far from the visible rocks and pointing straight to some white water a bit far out, where a lonely lady was.
Wategos gave me back my stoke.

As the tide retired the waves got even better but the crowd never reached a stressing point.
I just waited and got my nice rides. I surfed well for my skills.
I’m stoked by the fact that I can consistently do things on a wave, when I can get one!
I think I’m where I dreamt about when I started.

It has been a 6 years journey (minus 6 months for surgery) to get to this point.
I am happy. I would like to progress a little more before my age will start working totally against me.

Thanks Wategos.
Byron, you drive me crazy. Every single time!


Wategos in between sets


Come al solito quando vado a Byron Bay torno indietro con un misto di amore e odio.
Amore per il posto, e odio per il modo in cui la cittadina e’ congestionata dal traffico e dalla gente.
Amore per le onde e odio per la folla insostenibile.

Sabagto mi sono svegliato presto. Faceva freddo ed ero molto stanco dal giorno prima.
Mi sono seduto sul letto, cercando di essere sincero e capire se qualche ora di sonno in piu’ mi avrebbe fatto meglio di una surfata.
Ma quando sai che le onde rotolano a 5 minuti da te, e sei ormai sveglio, non c’e’ piu’ niente da fare.
Sono andato.

Ho parcheggiato lontano da The Pass e mi sono fatto la spiaggia a piedi con la falsa idea di fare prima. Lo onde rompevano solo al point e sembrava la vigilia di natale al centro commerciale.
Sono entrato sperando di rastrellare qualcosa, ma la frustrazione ha cominciato a salire rapidamente. Dopo una manciata di onde orfane colte all’ultimo secondo e concluse immediatamente con un close out, una medusa mi ha abbracciato il polpaccio. Dolore.
Dieci minuti di bestemmie, e quando sono tornado a concentrarmi sulle onde con mio orrore la folla era aumentata ancora.

Con la gamba dolorante ho guardato il cielo blu, il sole splendente, l’acqua limpida e la buona giornata che sarebbe potuta essere. Mi son chiesto che cazzo ci facevo la a rodermi il fegato, e ho ammesso che anche insistendo non sarei riuscito ad addrizzare una situazione penosa. Non volevo vivere una giornata misera.
Mi sono fatto forza e sono uscito. Per la prima volta in vita mia ho abbandonato delle buone onde dopo appena 40 minuti. Ho comprato cornetto e caffee e sono tornato in hotel da mia moglie. Per la prima volta in vita mia ho vissuto una bella giornata, sereno, nonostante una brutta sessione.

Domenica mi sono alzato presto e sono corso a Wategos, dietro The Pass, in cerca di riscatto.
Il sole era ancora dietro la collina e onde grandicelle e buie rotolavano in punti diversi della baietta. Pochissimi in acqua.
Non conoscendo il fondale mi sono tenuto lontano dalle rocce visibili e mi sono recato titubante abbastanza in fondo, dove una donna sola prendeva onde su un fondale che sembrava abbastanza profondo.
Wategos mi ha ridato la gioia.
Come la marea e’ scesa le onde sono andate via via migliorando, senza che la folla raggiungesse mai livelli di fastidio.
C’erano diversi picchi e sono riuscito a surfare bene, su bei cavalloni.

Sono gasato dal fatto che riesco a giocare con le onde mandando la tavola su e’ giu’ a piacimento. Ho raggiunto quel livello che sognavo quando ho iniziato.

Sono passati 6 anni (meno sei mesi causa intervento) proprio in questo periodo. E’ stato un cammino lungo e spesso snervante. Ma sono felice.
Vorrei progredire un altro po’ prima che il mio fisico cominci a dire ciao.     


Byron, ti amo e ti odio!    

No comments:

Post a Comment